Club sponsor:

To advertise on this
website, please
email us here
Reserve team report  

Tue 18th Apr 2017
Suburban Football League Premier Division
Boreham Wood 3-2 TAFC Reserve team

TAFC goals: Graham Clarke, Graham Clarke
Boreham Wood Res.3(0) Tring Ath.Res 2(1)

Our best performance since the Cup victory at Maidenhead on April 1st we ran a strong Boreham Wood very close and unfortunately ill discipline turned a 2-1 lead into defeat in the last 20 mins firstly when a free kick was conceded. The shot struck a post and we were second to the follow up and in the 88th minute 2 poor decisions resulted in a penalty which was converted.

The entire evening was spoilt by the unnecessarily belligerent attitude of the Boreham Wood Manager, who not only failed to respect the normal pre match niceties but TOLD us at 7.22 it was a 7.30 whereas we were preparing for the usual 7.45. We were proved to be correct but by then having been forced to kick off at 7.35 we quickly lost James Cullimore with a hamstring injury no doubt caused in part by the shorter warm up.

Our opponents started strongly but our 3-5-2 shape generally kept them at bay and we slowly worked our into the game. With Ikenna Victor again excellent in midfield together with James Shaw and a combination of Mesach Hendrickson, Graham Clarke and Arton Nash Barker proving a thorn in Woods side when on the attack we began to hold our own.

On the half hour a great run by Joe Naylor who ghosts past 3 players before setting up Mesach Hendrickson who was upended for a penalty which ex Bedford Town and Hitchin Town player Graham Clark scored. The lead was held relatively comfortably till half time.

Boreham Wood began to play longer into their tall centre forward and created a number of opportunities but in general we defended well as a unit. The turning point came after 55 mins when a good pass from Ikenna Victor set Graham Clarke up . He failed to hit the target and from the resulting play a what can only be described as a feeble challenge allowed a cross to the right winger who cut in and beat James Gibson on the near post.

Would the floodgates open?? Far from it, we then began to hit our opponents with a number of rapid breaks and from one of the after 70 mins Graham Clarke scored with a cross shot. Wood then had a player sent off for a second yellow, both for dissent but they kept hitting long balls in and put their even taller centre half up front as well.

We generally coped quite well and may well have had a third until the poor decisions which cost us the game which very annoyingly could easily have been avoided by sticking to the agreed game plan.

Our opponents then decided to turn the hot water off for the showers. It didn't surprise and summed up the way that particular individual (Cameron Mawer) chooses to run his team. Not for me thank you!!!

We now have 5 games left all of which I believe are eminently winnable if we can carry on getting squads out.

J.Gibson.R.Bedford (L.Irons),D.Smethers,G.Terrablanche.
J.Cullimore (T.Shaw), J.Nayor, J.Shaw, I.Victor, A.Nash-Barker(T.Miller), M.Hendrickson(O.Ruttle) G.Clarke.

(No photos on file)